Amgen’s Commitment to Mental Health
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. While we work to develop treatments to take care of others, we are also committed to taking care of the people contributing to these advances. For example, Amgen offers its 12,000 staff in the U.S. and Puerto Rico a variety of programs that support mental health and well-being:
- Employee Assistance Program: This is an Amgen-sponsored benefit that connects staff members and their eligible dependents with effective and convenient care for their mental and emotional well-being. The program combines technology, research-backed therapeutic methods and top therapists to offer personalized care at no cost to the participant. The program provides access to certified counselors and coaches as needed. The services are delivered in different mediums (in-person, live video or self-guided) and sessions can begin almost immediately.
- Meditation Program: This program features meditations and teaches simple and effective tools for mindfulness at work and at home. The meditations are varied in topics and duration and are delivered in a “self-study” online medium, which allows staff to participate at a time that is most convenient.
We also offer our employees help in managing some of life’s most stressful situations—from having a baby to caring for an elderly parent.
- Cancer Support Resources: A proprietary oncology resource guide, and other cancer support, is provided through our medical network. Amgen pays the full cost of this program.
- Future Moms Program: Personalized support from nurse coaches is provided to help expectant mothers through all stages of pregnancy.
- College Coaching: On-site seminars and personalized assistance are provided from former admissions officers who are available to assist staff members with questions related to financial aid applications, essay reviews and college savings.
- Adoption Assistance Program: Amgen reimburses eligible adoption expenses up to $4,000.
- Elder Care: Personalized support and resources are provided for staff members who care for an elderly family member. Some of the services provided include assessing appropriate housing options, discussing the benefits of engaging an elder care attorney, and evaluating available insurance options.
- Child Care: Amgen provides discounts for staff members utilizing child care services at participating day care centers. Partially-subsidized, on-site child care is provided at our headquarters in Thousand Oaks, California and at our manufacturing facility in Puerto Rico.
- Special Needs Program: Amgen provides webinars and personalized assistance to staff with special needs children or children facing everyday issues such as bullying, drug use, etc.
- New Mom’s Return to Work Support: In addition to the required nursing room space, Amgen provides fully equipped rooms with hospital grade pumps, drying racks, and supplies. For nursing mothers traveling for Amgen business, Amgen provides a breast milk shipment service.
Robert A. Bradway
Chairman and CEO